Chicken Pot Pie on a Slab
- 5 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 24-oz package of frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, corn)
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pkg whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 egg white
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 cup sauteed baby bella mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine broth, miso, bay leaves in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook, undisturbed, until reduced to about 4 cups, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
- Whisk milk and flour in a small bowl, then whisk into the broth in the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Stir in chicken. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in mixed vegetables, mushrooms and parsley. Line the bottom of the dish with baby spinach, then pour the mixture onto a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Spread out pizza dough like you would make a pizza. Cut your strips as you would like to cover the dish. I used a fancy pizza cutter. Brush the top of the dough with egg white.
- Bake until the top is browned and the chicken is cooked through, 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut to serve.